February 23, 2011

fail

every couple of weeks, i review my progress charts. i know i'm plateauing; i can feel it in my body. but i always like to have data to back me up. so i opened it up today, looking at the last few weeks. then the last few months. then the last eight months. i'm equal parts furious and complacent. confirmed plateau. plateauing since the pointsplus program went into effect. i went from averaging 0.9 to 0.3 (12 week chunks) over the last eightish months. dec 1st, pointsplus went into effect, and my progress started slowing. part of that is because i made no progress in dec (no meetings + stressing over school). dec 29th, i was back in, whole hog. i had a good bump in jan, but it's been slow going ever since. currently, i am averaging 0.1 over the last four weeks. dismal

this is why i get so frustrated when i get on the scale. i put on my happy face and pretend like it's no big deal, but it really is a big deal. i'm working out, watching my portions and getting more healthy stuff in my body. the body that can't make up its mind what size it wants to be. i am down to two pairs of jeans, both skinny. the 10s are loose on some days, perfect on others. the 29s (european sizing) started to gape. then they fit. then they were tight. not during a week when i was retaining water. i don't cook with or consume much sodium. a good chunk of my diet is reduced or nonfat. i'm up to 80 mins working out per week, not including all the walking i do on class days. i vary the number of activity points i eat. i've drastically increased my fruit and veggie intake while decreasing my dairy (which i miss sometimes). i'm cooking more of my own foods and eating out/ordering in way less. yet, here i am. struggling with four measly pounds. four pounds i shouldn't even care about. technically, i'm still two pounds away from my original, personal goal; i'm four away from weight watchers' prescribed goal. it's not worth the effort to meet with my doctor so she can write me a note for what i want. a difference of two pounds is really not that big of a deal in the long run. and it still doesn't matter. i can't lose those two or the whole four at the moment

i'm debating if i should bring this up tonight. mostly because i'm hostile. partly because everyone's advice comes from their perspective and relationship with food. i said it over at IITGI, not everyone is overweight because they overeat. i don't have the luxury of not eating all my daily points. that just puts me in a situation to start backsliding in to not eating. i know myself well enough to recognize that. i'll punch someone in the face if they say increase activity. i've already tripled what i was doing before (cardio and strength training), and i'll be increasing again soon. i get enough sleep, i'm relatively unstressed at the moment and i'm not ill...

i am at a loss. i don't know how to force my body to got off the plateau. and i don't know how to keep my motivation up for myself. if it weren't for the winter wonderland warriors, i would've given up on half my goals by now. i'm so over being a loser; i'm ready to start maintaining. clearly, that's my best ability at the moment

[psh i shouldn't really call this an update...]
and then i reread this. maybe i should quit trying to lose?

4 comments:

  1. i did weight watchers several years ago and whenever i hit a plateau, i would do the "wendie plan" it varies how you use your points each week. i know ww is different now, but it may still apply.

    http://www.stormpc.com/ww/wendie_plan.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting. i might just give it a shot :) thanks!

    ps - love your avatar :) maleficent ftw

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand your frustration to a certain degree. As you know, I'm not on WW. I've been using MyFitnessPal, which allows me to count calories. No point systems, etc. Well, for the last 2-3 weeks, I've been stuck and the same weight and I haven't moved. Now granted, in the big grande scheme of things, I'm thrilled that I've lost as much as I have.... but darn it.... I sure would like to lose the last 7 pounds I decided to lose when I reached my initial goal! Grrr. I guess I'll keep plugging away and hopefully the ole body will begin shedding weight once again until I reach my final goal.

    Needless to say, I think you ought to voice your concerns and perhaps you might get some helpful hints that'll jump start you into losing big once again. Good luck, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks, h! that's pretty much how i feel. i'm so happy and proud of how far i've come, but that last little bit keeps thwarting me. if i'm feeling less angry by meeting time, i'll bring it up. i don't want to bring my hostile self to the group :)

    ReplyDelete