January 18, 2011

eating disorder?

**i'm not fond of disclaimers, but i think this needs to be stated upfront. i know it's easy to project judgment and i am a judgey mcjudgerson, but this is entirely about me and my issues. i am scrutinizing my fat self, nothing/no one beyond that**

so the other day, this article was published on jezebel and a twitter friend shared it. as i read it, i grew increasingly annoyed. what i've been saying for years is actually true. there is so little food in the special k foods that your body practically starves. hence why i refer to the special k diet as the anorexic diet. as i commented on the original post, i realize that comparison is a bit crass and potentially hurtful to anyone who has/does/will struggle with an eating disorder. as i was leaving that comment, i was reminded of an email i sent to heather. she'd asked a question about clarifying the weight watchers' points plus system. at the end, i mentioned that i have a history of unintentional under eating. hence, why i like having a target number i have to eat so i know i'm taking enough calories in to compensate for those going out. i'm picky, slow and always seemed to be "full" quickly. there were entire weekends in which i didn't eat much of anything because i never felt hungry at all. over the years, i nibbled and tiny portioned myself to almost 200 pounds

and now i'm wondering: did i have an undiagnosed eating disorder? would it just be classified as disorganized eating (eating disorder NOS)? should i even worry about this?

i've had issues with my body and weight since i started putting the weight on when i was little. even when i was dancing and cheering, i secretly always saw myself as the "fat one". the only time in my life i was ever bullied was in dance class. it was small (especially compared to the routine taunts kids today sustain) and focused on my speech. i was a suburban girl dancing with inner city kids. i was an outsider because i "talked white". i immediately stopped speaking to anyone while at dance class. we left the company when i was in 7th grade over financial issues. it was not about my weight, but a tiny piece of me still thinks it secretly was. i picked up cheerleading freshman year of high school because i missed dance team tryouts by a week. shockingly, i made the JV squad with absolutely no cheer experience at all, and cheered through my junior year. we always joked that i was the bitter cheerleader because i'm not perky in the slightest. in my head, i was the token fat chick. fortunately, i loved our uniforms the last two years. the skirt had side slits on the left that fell open just enough while seated at my desk. i always hated how big i was, but i loved my thighs. mostly muscle from lifting those tiny bitches. unfortunately, being the biggest girl on the squad meant i couldn't sell my uniform to someone when i quit before senior year. no recouping of funds for me. i didn't cheer in college because i never felt skilled, pretty or thin enough to compete with those girls. the girls who barely did thigh stands and couldn't be heard over a nonexistent crowed were still better than i *sigh*

senior year of high school was my worst year. i won't go into much detail, but i spent almost the entire year in therapy. i left with a precautionary diagnosis of borderline depression. or, as i like to call it, stress induced depression. the important focus: homecoming and prom. i went dress shopping with my mom and found two dresses. i somehow convinced her to buy both at the same time because i loved them both. i promised her profusely that i would not ask for another dress. at some point later in the year, i ended up on the floor of hecht's (remember that place?), hiding in the racks, crying because of that stupid promise. everything worked out fine without my pleading with mom for a new dress. homecoming came and went with fun had by many. but as everyone knows, prom is a completely different beast from homecoming

my prom dress was a beautiful light blue with a soft flower applique. it was a boat neck, sleeveless dress with an empire waist. it was a size too small. i went on my first and only diet. my first and only active participation in lent as a true decision making catholic. i gave up meat for lent 2002. a few friends were vegetarian so why the hell not try it. when lent ended, i decided i'd keep not eating meat. partly because i didn't really care to start gorging on meat again. partly because it was going to help me lose weight. i was fitting in that damn dress one way or another. i started drinking slimfast shakes twice a day, breakfast and lunch. it was nice in the mornings because i could drink it on the way to school (or walking to class, if necessary). i was a wee hungry, but i could make it til theater crew. all rehearsals began with a 7-11 run :) hello, large vanilla cappucino. somehow that tided me over until getting home for dinner. don't ask me how i did it. don't ask me how much i lost. i honestly have no clue. what i do know is i fit in that dress and never felt prettier. i also told neal he better have food waiting at his house for when i got there cause i was fucking hungry. by may i think i was feeling the effects of not enough calories, but definitely not associating the two. i just knew that i was hot in that dress, and i pissed some people off. i had fun at prom and at the after party (movies in our jammies with neal's momma loading up the ice cream? uh... hell yea!)

of course, i went back to eating like my normal self after prom. i did keep the slimfasts around for a bit because i actually liked them. eventually, they had to go because i prefer real breakfast to all other consumables. again, don't ask me how much weight i put on or how long it took. i have no clue. i really wasn't paying any attention to myself. i lived my life hating and ignoring my body. it was the enemy and had to be stopped at any costs. at the same time, i wasn't willing to put in the effort to figure out how to combat it. until that day, in 2009, when i stepped on the scale. and the nurse had to move my bracket up. then i realized that i was the enemy, not my body

i don't know if i had a true eating disorder. i do think that i had a brief bought of disorganized eating while also dealing with the tail end of a mild case of depression. my brain sounds fun, doesn't it? i've never used food as a method of control. i've never purged. i can say that i binged, but that's what i'm told the holidays are all about. i've never felt particularly guilty about the food itself. because i didn't connect food with fat. i just knew that i was fat. i, luckily, reached my breaking point before i reached a point of no return. before i had high cholesterol and blood pressure. before i had diabetes. before i had any health problems at all. i took control of myself, connected the dots and changed. 64.6 pounds lighter, i am still a fat kid. but i am not fat

i still prefer a big bowl of pasta with meatballs and mozzarella to a grilled chicken salad. i still indulge in fried foods and american bacon. i still opt for that second yuengling. i am a fat kid. but i will never let myself be fat again. i know how to treat my body better. to work with it so it works for me. i will not allow myself to backslide in to that self loathing chubby girl who wishes she could fade into the wallpaper before anyone notices how hideous she truly is. i am writing this, for the first time without a hint of joking:

i love me

inner fat kid, outer skinny bitch and all

6 comments:

  1. KUDOS TO YOU!! *clap, clap* I love your sincere honesty in this post and can relate especially well to your final paragraph. 2010 was a year of self-realization for me, for finally paying attention to my body and hearing what it was telling me. It was telling me to "get healthy!" I'm getting there, slowly, 1 pound at a time. :)

    I'm so happy for you, and I'm very glad that YOU are HAPPY, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words "i love me" brought tears to my eyes. That is what is most important over every thing. If you can love you that's what matters. That is what living life is about. I can tell you that I have NEVER loved myself more than I do right now. Yes I am overweight. Yes, I could stand to loose quite a bit of weight. But I love me. I know I can change me when I'm ready...but I love me. I am so glad that you love you...thanks for sharing this. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! This post is so uplifting and motivating! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you guys are gonna make me cry :) thank you

    ReplyDelete