March 3, 2011

in my fridge

down 0.8 last week, and was still on a plateau (ave up to 0.3 though). meeting went ok, but there wasn't an opportunity to discuss issues. i took my five pound sticker and went on my merry way. this week, i'm down another 1.4 (was NOT expecting a loss since i'm preperiod) and may have kicked some plateau ass. i am now 66.4 pounds down, ladies and gents *pause for applause* every thurs at 8pm EST there's a twitter chat full of weight watchers peeps (#wwchat). i'm slowly falling in love with it. the support, the ideas, the ridiculousness. it's all fabulous. during the brag, i mentioned my loss last week (which put me at 65 even). that's when it hit me how awesome 65 is. 66.4 is even more awesome. i have NO clue where i kept the extra pounds, but i am so fucking happy they are gone. i know i'm being all bipolar about my progress, but at least i'm always honest ;)

on to the important stuff. what have i been cooking up lately? lots of deliciousness

soft polenta with mascarpone

[original recipe]

my adjustments: switched out the butter for smart balance light butter instead. chicken broth, not stock. no parsley garnish

my notes: i definitely had enough for eight good sized portions, which helped bring the points down. i had my polenta with baked salmon and cooked broccoli. yum all around :) although, i need to remember sockeye has bones. part of me wants to make a huge batch of polenta to serve with various meals, especially because i had to think of a way to use all the mascarpone before it went bad. i ended up using it in my pasta sauce, but i got tired of the combo after awhile. i should also note that making polenta is a workout :p you have to constantly stir it to keep it from sticking or whatever. my arms were not happy for awhile

slow cooker vegetable soup

[original recipe]

my adjustments: i dropped the bay leaf, added extra spinach (12 oz container meh) and used a cayenne pepper blend i have instead of red pepper flakes

my notes: i actually liked this more than i was anticipating. i'm still not a huge fan of spinach, but this had a great blend of flavors/textures that appealed to me. i sliced up some french baguettes to top it all off, which increased the likeability :) plus i like how easy this was to make. chop veggies, throw in cooker with broth and do something else for a few hours. excellent for a quick weekend meal

tortellini soup

[original recipe]

my adjustments: nada :D

my notes: another super easy recipe. i may have overcooked my tortellini, but that doesn't bother me. overall, this was quite yummy. however, it wasn't terribly filling. i wonder if it'd be worth double portions (seven points)...

artichoke provencal

[original recipe]

my adjustments: i used chicken broth instead of white wine. i also dropped the olives and basil. don't like olives; didn't have any basil. oh and i split it into five servings

my notes: i cannot express to you how in love with artichokes i am right now. this was SO yummy and went well with pasta (with the mascarpone sauce). there was also plenty in each serving. once i get through my current stack of recipes, i think i'm gonna start pulling other stuff for artichoke. spinach and artichoke dip is top of that list :D

old world manicotti

12 large manicotti shells
4c shredded mozzarella, divided
2c ricotta
6T fresh basil, chopped (or 2T dried basil)
1 (26oz) jar spaghetti sauce, divided
1/2c grated parmesan

preheat oven to 350°F. spray 13x9 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. cook pasta according to package. drain; rinse with cool water. let pasta dry on paper towels. for filling, in medium bowl, stir together 3c mozzarella, ricotta and basil. using a teaspoon, carefully stuff pasta shells with prepared mixture. spoon 2c sauce into baking dish. arrange stuffed pasta over sauce; pour remaining sauce over pasta. sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. bake for 15 minutes. sprinkle with parmesan and bake for another 10 minutes. serve

makes six servings

my adjustments: 2c part skim mozzarella, fat free ricotta and reduced fat sauce brought this recipe down to nine points per serving

my notes: i added broccoli and sauteed peppers on the side. super yum! i think i'll stuff some peppers inside next time :) overall, this was a favorite. even though i pretty much destroyed my manicotti lol. what is with me and overcooked pasta? it cooked so long that most of the shells split before/while i was stuffing them. i also forgot about the rinsing and drying part. oops. still delicious hahah

mcdonald's shamrock shake

[original recipe]

my adjustments: skim milk, naturally. i also divided it into six servings (four points), but i think it normally serves four (six points)

my notes: YUMMO! so i've never actually had one of the mcdonald's shakes. i know; blasphemy :p i was extremely happy with my little green milkshake. except i let it sit out too long because i was making other stuff at the same time, as usual. meh still good :p if i'd known about peppermint extract sooner, i'd have been making my own mint ice cream for years. i despise mint chocolate chip because of those horrible little chips. do not want. now i never have to eat them again *happy shimmy*

bekah's quick apple crisp

3 large apples
1/4c water
1 packet maple and brown sugar instant oatmeal
1/4t vanilla extract
sea salt, cinnamon & nutmeg to taste
butter spray
2T fat free whipped topping

preheat oven to 350°F. peel and core apples. cut each into 12 slices and place in pyrex. add water and cover. microwave on high for seven minutes. let sit covered for two minutes. uncover and add vanilla, sea salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. use a fork to evenly distribute ingredients and mash half of apples. add oatmeal as top layer. spray butter on oatmeal until wet. bake uncovered for 7-10 minutes. let cool for five minutes. add whipped topping

makes two servings

my adjustments: i doubled the recipe and divided into six three point servings. i didn't bother mashing the apples up. i also used pam instead of butter spray; i may just leave it off completely next time. lastly, i nixed the whipped topping cause i didn't want it

my notes: it's quite good for only a few points. i prefer it cold though, which contrasts nicely with the below frittatas :)

individual ham, cheese and veggie frittatas

[original recipe]

my adjustments: i ended up only using about 3/4 lb of the hashbrowns, which dropped the points down to two. i also left out the ham

my notes: i really like these quick little things. i pop them in the microwave for about 45 seconds in the morning. i may adjust how i put the ingredients together next time though. instead of combining the veg and cheese with the egg, i may layer them in the cups before pouring in the egg. it seemed like each cup got a disproportionate amount of something. also? super spray your tins. the cups do not just pop out

sooo yea. that's what i cooked up in february. ready for a yummy march? i know i am :)

4 comments:

  1. Very nice! I'm definitely going to be trying some of these recipes out soon. =D And awesome on the loss! I can't wait to brag about 66.4lbs gone. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you make your own changes, let me know :) i always like seeing how other people switching things up

    i'm gonna happy dance right along with you when you hit 66.4 :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you! I also know that you must feel so much better with the weight being gone! I've only lost 1/2 of what you've lost and I feel loads better! :) Kudos to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you thank you :) over the last week, it's become increasingly real. can't wait to buy new clothes and rock a new swimsuit this summer :D

    ReplyDelete