January 25, 2011

kitchen win!

can i tell you a secret? i'm writing this post two weeks before you're gonna see it. to keep up with my warrior goals, i'm writing when the mood strikes and scheduling posts. so when my inspiration dries up (or grad school starts kicking my ass), i'll already have something ready to go. look at me heading off guilt at the pass... so what was my big success? this freaking recipe for quinoa!

slow cooker curry chicken with quinoa
[original recipe]

my adjustments: i scaled it down to four servings instead of six and used reduced sodium chicken broth. wow! i almost did this one by the book ;)

my notes: OMG! this was AMAZING. i seriously housed it. i'm thinking about picking up some more chicken to make another batch. god knows we have plenty of quinoa in the pantry. this was super yummy for just five points per serving. plus i didn't overcook anything :D go try it!

penne with spinach and sun dried tomatoes
[original recipe]

my adjustments: i dropped the garbanzo beans; i don't like beans of any kind. i couldn't find sun dried tomatoes in the brand i wanted (hey, i had a coup) so i used regular diced tomatoes. i used red wine vinegar instead of balsamic cause that's what was in the pantry. and, of course, low sodium chicken broth

my notes: dropping the beans knocked this down to six points per serving, making it an excellent lunch choice for me. i should've drained the diced tomatoes though; i'm not a huge fan of thin sauces. i did enjoy this overall, but it's not something SPECTACULAR

the quinoa definitely wins out of all the recipes i made during week1. i'll get back to you on week2 recipes :)

3 comments:

  1. Ooo.. I'm trying that quinoa curry! Sounds so good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. quinoa is like my new favorite thing. i hope you enjoy this recipe as much as i did :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm such an amazingly picky eater... I'll admit my ignornace and say I don't even know what quinoa is. Guess I'll need to google it, huh? :)

    Kudos for sticking to your goals!

    ReplyDelete